|Built in 1767 at the same time as the South wing of
the main house, the Coach House is Listed Grade II,
meaning that it is recognised as being "of
historical and architectural importance" by the
Department of the Environment. More details can be found on the English
Heritage Images of England web site by following
The present drawing room housed the coaches (and coachmen - hence the fireplace) and the dining room/kitchen was for the horses. The wooden stable partitions have been preserved in their original positions.
The Coach House was restored and converted into a dwelling in 1991/2. The crown glass in the panel next to the front door is the original 18th century glass from the two small windows on either side of the door.
The inscription "Mary Hardwick 1839" over the french windows refers to the then owner of Holdenhurst (née Norman, she inherited the house from her father and married a Rev Hardwick from Bristol) who added various early-Victorian architectural features to the main house, including the stained-glass window visible from the drive.
availability and prices
The Coach House and The Cider House